What Goes Where
There are two types of categories: public and private. Public categories can be seen by anyone visiting the sit and any logged-in user is able to post a screened answer to the questions. Private categories are restricted to certain users with the applicable privs; only very specific people can see the requests at all, since they often contain sensitive information which might not be suitable for the public.
- 1 Public categories
- 2 Private categories
In general, you should pick the cat which best fits the majority of the request, if there's more than one issue. If necessary, it's fine to switch cats midway through interacting with the user; maybe an answer you give for the Importer will bring up more questions which are really Entries related. There are people with privs in just one or two cats so moving requests does have an effect on who can approve answers or see discussion.
- catch-all for stuff which just doesn't fit anywhere else. You'd want to use this if it's something which doesn't fit any of the more specialized options.
- anything feed-related
- creating an account help
- OpenID issues
- things of which you are unsure of their proper location
- If you are not sure if something is a bug or suggestion, put in in G/unk for more in-depth investigation and sorting.
- If you do know something is a bug, you can also dump it here for filing by Support members.
- things specific to community use
- moderation queue
- managing members
- Can overlap with styles and entries; try to determine if the issue is caused by a community or if it's a more general issue which just happens to apply to the community in this case. Example: if someone can't post an entry to a community but can post personal entries, that's a community issue. However, if the problem is more with html in the entry, which would happen in any entry, then it's an entries problem and not a comms problem.
- entries-related problems
- html encoding problems
- the RTE
- posting privately or to filters (although the basic creation of the filters is more G/unk).
- styles-related problems
- anything to do with selecting a new style
- modifying that style
- using custom CSS.
Site Interface (web)
- things for site display. If you are able to change the summary of a request that falls in this cat, mark it [docs].
- problems with the site scheme
- site copy and FAQ updates
- importer-related problems, issues and questions.
- crossposter-related problems, issues and questions.
For all the private cats, it's not necessary to tell the user anything before you move it; just move it and let the specialized staff investigate and answer.
Peterstein (private support)
- email@example.com to open a req
- anything which involves personal information but does not fall under the purview of any of the other private categories.
- Password issues can go here if needed.
- firstname.lastname@example.org to open a req
Terms of Service (abuse, ToS)
- email@example.com to open a req
- anything which will require Abuse Team investigation should get moved here. ** user-to-user interaction
- people registering complaints about each other
- any request that explicitly names another user in a negative light
Account Payments (accounts)
- firstname.lastname@example.org to open a req
- anything about payments goes here
- requests for large numbers of invite codes for things like moving an RP to Dreamwidth.
- email@example.com to open a req
- for spam
- to handle spam, dequeue and place in Webmaster