Notable Dreamwidth Reading
From Dreamwidth Notes
Expand: This page should link to the most important readings regarding Dreamwidth. Someone should be able to link here and assume the person being linked to can get a good understanding of the project. This can be on wiki or off wiki.
In short, Dreamwidth is best described as "a bunch of ex-LJ staffers rebooting LJ from the outside" .
- Dreamwidth.org: FAQ -- The most frequently asked questions about the platform and service.
- Dreamwidth.org: Business FAQs -- The most frequently asked questions about the business philosophy and operations of Dreamwidth.
- Announcing Dreamwidth Studios. Coming Summer 2008. -- The announcement of DW's conception.
- Dreamwidth changes from LJ -- Things the Dreamwidth project has already accomplished and will accomplish soon.
- Dreamwidth Timeline -- The history of Dreamwidth from conception, which requires constant updating!
- Why Dreamwidth -- Individuals writing about why they are looking forward to Dreamwidth
- three weeks: history with Denise -- mark reminisces about how he got to know Denise and the history that led up to the creation of Dreamwidth.
Dreamwidth Specific Reading
- (really, i'm just noodling around here) -- Essay about what kind of business synecdochic wants Dreamwidth to be.
- Keeping the lights on: can we afford to run this service? -- by mark -- An overview of the possible costs involved for hosting DW in its different stages. Note: this doesn't necessarily connect with what the DW is currently deciding to do.
- Paid account design (was: RP use cases and styles) -- by synecdochic -- Goes into the details about what considerations there are when designing the features of paid accounts, as well as why a la carte purchases can be counterproductive.
These are general articles about factors involved in running an internet business.
- Why Monetizing Social Media Through Advertising Is Doomed To Failure: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3 -- This expansive essay by synecdochic details the difficulties and issues surrounding monetizing social media through advertising.
- Internet business numbers for the layperson -- What does all the money needed for an internet business go to? By synecdochic
- Technical debt and the making of payments on it by denise: why we can't have (all the) nice things (right now)
- Incident Management by jennyst: managing code deploys so no one gets hurt
- on the care and feeding of volunteers by mark: We are all human beings, and we all deserve to be treated with respect.
- Category: Dreamwidth Icons -- In case you wanted icons!
- Styles FAQ -- Frequently asked questions about styles on DW.
Enlightening LiveJournal Meta
Sometimes in order to get a good idea of where we might be going, it's a good idea to see where we have been.
- Turn off the radio; turn off the lights: Being a few words of advice to anyone stepping in to a LiveJournal management position. (azurelunatic)
- Signs you might not be from LJ originally (some of LJ's rules, both social and not-so-social) (azurelunatic)
- Friending! (azurelunatic)
- LiveJournal Users: Passionate, Prolific, and Private
People Talking About Dreamwidth
Coverage on Dreamwidth from other sources.
- Ada Lovelace Day: Two ground-breaking open source projects -- talks about women in open source
Commentary from users.