Dreamwidth.org: Business FAQs
Commonly asked questions about dreamwidth.org's business operations and business plans, so we can have them in one place and point people at them when they come around again on the gee-tar. These aren't questions and answers that are designed for eventual inclusion on the site, but things that are coming up (or will be coming up) on the mailing lists during the construction and beta phase, so as to save everyone's sanity and prevent yet another go-around on the specific topic.
Some of these answers are links to where they were previously answered on the mailing list, while some of them have never been written up in one place but have been scattered through various threads. (In that case, we'll synthesize all the various bits of answers into one answer here, or write the email to the mailing list and then link it here.)
- 1 Why aren't you organized as a nonprofit?
- 2 Why won't you let us design our own paid accounts/only pay for what we want/add things a la carte?
- 3 Is Dreamwidth a fandom-based project?
- 4 What do you plan on doing with the profit from Dreamwidth?
- 5 Why aren't permanent accounts going to always be on sale?
- 6 Are you going to translate the site into other languages?
- 7 Why are accounts going to be so expensive?
- 8 Why don't you have all the features LJ has?
- 9 Is this all just a reaction to (latest LJ decision)?
- 10 Why can't all these changes be opt-in?
Why aren't you organized as a nonprofit?
Why won't you let us design our own paid accounts/only pay for what we want/add things a la carte?
For both technical and social reasons, we've chosen to offer two levels of paid account, at two different price points, with the same features but different limits to each. While it's possible this may change in the future, it's highly unlikely. (Followup explanation)
Is Dreamwidth a fandom-based project?
Dreamwidth is not fandom-specific, but is fandom-friendly.
What do you plan on doing with the profit from Dreamwidth?
Why aren't permanent accounts going to always be on sale?
Are you going to translate the site into other languages?
Most likely not. Certainly not at launch, and almost certainly not after that, unless we can solve some particularly difficult problems (as enumerated in that message).