Getting Invite Codes
Dreamwidth sometimes uses invite codes to control the rate of new account creation to make sure it is sustainable. It also helps to reduce spam.
As of the 2012 January 06 news update, registration will remain open until any of the following conditions are met:
- paid to unpaid user ratio drops below a certain point
- daily revenue drops below a certain point
- registered-user spam sufficiently annoys the staff and anti-spam team
When invite codes are turned on, they are rather freely available and most users are able to get them without any effort at all. If for some reason you don't have a code, there are many ways to get one.
- The Dreamwidth community on LiveJournal posts a regular supply of codes.
- dw_codesharing also has codes.
- Ask almost anyone in a PM in IRC and you'll likely get a code or contact with someone who can.
- If all else fails, ask Denise or Mark directly.
If you need codes in bulk (such as bringing a group over from another site to Dreamwidth), ask for them by filing an Accounts support request.
- If your supply of codes is exhausted for personal (individual or very small group) use, make a request for new codes on the site. This is checked regularly.