This is a list of what we're calling things. At the moment, this should be considered almost-but-not-quite definitive. That is, it's still subject to change, but this is highly likely to be what we go with.
See the Discussion page for discussion about what to call things that haven't been named yet.
Instead of using the term friend we will be using two terms:
- Watching will be called subscriptions.
- Trusting will be called access.
The equivalent of the friends page will be called the reading page.
- You will subscribe to a journal and it will become a subscribed journal, or you will be subscribed to that journal.
- This journal will appear on your subscriptions list, and you will appear on their subscribers list.
- When you grant access to someone, they appear on your access list, while you will appear on their access to list.
There will also be reading filters to show who appears on your reading page and access filters to control who has access to your content.
Relationship will be a generic term including both subscriptions and access.
Your circle will be all people with whom you have a relationship.
Your network is your circle's circle.
Thus, the equivalent of the friends' friends page will be read your network and the equivalent of popular with friends will be popular in your network.
Use archive instead of calendar.
On Dreamwidth, we will confirm email addresses rather than validating them.
Entry or Post
- The proper noun form is entry (entries rather than posts or postings).
- The proper verb form is post.
The only exception to this is the verb to make: You post an entry to your account; you make a post to your account; you write an entry in your account.
When it is necessary to distinguish the Dreamwidth account from its originating feed, use the term feed account. Do not mention syndication or syndicated accounts.
The little menu that appears on the top right of the profile with options like modify, access, send message, track, etc. will be referred to as the Interactions Menu.
The preferred term is Navigation Strip or Nav Strip for short. Do not refer to it as the control strip.
The correct term is profile. Do not use user info.
Tracking specifically refers to tracking of comments/entries.
Notifications refers to a more general sense.
- You would receive a notification when someone adds you to their circle.
- You might receive a notification when someone comments on an entry you're tracking.
- You wouldn't track people adding you to their circle.
- The inbox would still be referred to as the inbox, so all notifications would go to the inbox, and you also have the option of having them emaiiled to you.
Do not refer to this feature as subscribing or as Event Subscription Notification (ESN).
Refer to these as icons generally, and as user icons if necessary for clarity or to distinguish from other icons.